They have copied everything from the Urban Decay Naked Palettes to my beloved Liz Earle Hot Cloth Cleanser. Even though I am against the idea of buying these makeup/skincare items, one dupe I can't pass on is their copy of Jo Malone London products. I have always been a big fan of Jo Malone London and I did used to work for them a long time ago but now-a-days it is certainly more of a treat. I still buy Jo Malone but not like I used to when I received a discount.
I really wanted to know how the Aldi dupes compared so back in April, I wrote my Aldi Dupes post and I took a cross section of different products and tried to compare them to ones I already had from Jo Malone. To be honest, I had incredibly low expectations; how could something that cheap compare to something so luxury but you know what, they did an annoyingly good job. It made me question why I had been spending so much on Jo Malone for all these years since I worked there.
Aldi released an impressive amount of products in the lead up to Christmas and within these products are some dupes for both Yankee Candle and Jo Malone London. I like Yankee Candle but I feel like I am happy spending the money for the real thing. However Jo Malone is currently a little bit out of my price range. Normally I will treat myself to one Jo Malone Candle a year to get me through the festive season but this year I thought I would see how the Aldi Dupes compared as they have recreated one of my favourite scents.
Christmas Products
Jo Malone London launch a limited edition collection every Christmas and this year Aldi have replicated this launch. On the 12th December, Aldi launched their limited edition home range which featured their Jo Malone dupes. I had been waiting for this collection to drop as I had seen on Instagram a blogger who had been to an Aldi Christmas event and they showed some of the items and I really wanted to get some.
There was only one set that was actually different from something you could get from Jo Malone which is a set of 3 diffusers. I dread to think of how much a set of Jo Malone diffusers would cost because they are £64 each but the Aldi set is £8.99. I've tried the diffusers from Aldi and I am not overly fussed by them, I don't think they smell that strong and they do not last very long. I really wanted to see all of the candles.
There were two candle sets: a collection of 3 candles and a set of 6. The set of 6 is a Votive Candle Set so they are quite small but they have picked 6 of the best scents: Lime Basil Mandarin, Pomegranate, Peony, Rose Noir, Sweet Macaroon and Almond, and Bitter Orange. The collection of 3 contains: Lime Basil Mandarin, Pomegranate and Bitter Orange. Both of the sets are less than £10 so they are an amazing way of scenting your home this Christmas.
As well as these two sets, there are also some bigger, individual candles. They have a centerpiece candle which comes in Pomegranate and Rose Noir and the final piece is an incredible Hurricane Candle which comes in Pomegranate and Bitter Orange. I was super tempted by one of these big candles but they were so heavy I decided it would be better for me to get a smaller set, which was what I did.
In the end I picked up the set of 3 candles because I really wanted to try the Bitter Orange candle as I have the Orange Bitters candle from Jo Malone and it is one of my favourites but it is simply too expensive! I will get into the comparison in a moment but there is one scent I want to talk about first.
Sweet Almond & Macaroon
The Sweet Almond & Macaroon Candle is an obvious dupe for the Jo Malone Candle of the same name. Even though this looks very festive, it is actually part of the Aldi Hotel Collection which seems to have had a bit of a revamp. I have to say I love the update to the glass as it is now a beautiful iridescent glass that does look lovely and festive. In addition they have given the lid a bit of a make over giving it a gold lid rather than a brushed dull silver lid. They have also updated the labelling so it isn't an exact copy of Jo Malone anymore but the scent really does give it away.
I have to say I was really shocked by the smell of this candle as it is basically an exact copy. The scent is spot on. I always thought Sweet Almond and Macaroon had an almost playdough like smell and the Aldi version has the same note. This is definitely an almond scent and it has that sort of smooth texture to the scent. I have to say this is incredibly sweet so if you do not like sweet, food like scents, you won't like this one.
I would never have purchased the Jo Malone version because at £48, that is a high price to pay for a candle that I'm not overly fussed by. The quality of a Jo Malone candle is far superior but the smell is pretty spot on. The candle does not burn evenly and the scent is not as strong as a Jo Malone candle but I think that is quite a nice quality because the scent would be too overwhelming for me if it were a Jo Malone candle.
As I said this isn't necessarily part of the Christmas collection but this candle does feel very festive due to the packaging. At £3.99 I think it is completely worth giving this scent a go, as long as you like sweet scents. If you like something a little bit more classic, it might be worth checking out the next scent.
I would never have purchased the Jo Malone version because at £48, that is a high price to pay for a candle that I'm not overly fussed by. The quality of a Jo Malone candle is far superior but the smell is pretty spot on. The candle does not burn evenly and the scent is not as strong as a Jo Malone candle but I think that is quite a nice quality because the scent would be too overwhelming for me if it were a Jo Malone candle.
As I said this isn't necessarily part of the Christmas collection but this candle does feel very festive due to the packaging. At £3.99 I think it is completely worth giving this scent a go, as long as you like sweet scents. If you like something a little bit more classic, it might be worth checking out the next scent.
The Battle of Bitter Orange
Bitter Orange smells exactly how it sounds: it is a spiced, bitter orange which is the type of scent I love for Christmas. This is mainly orange with a light undertone of spices and it is slightly bitter. The Jo Malone candle is gorgeous and as soon as it hits December 1st, I bring it out and burn it sparingly for the month. I was hoping that the Aldi version would be quite similar so that I could burn it more and use it instead of my Jo Malone one.
When I compared the two, I have to say the Jo Malone scent is richer and deeper, it has more of a varied fruity scent whilst maintaining a strength within the bitterness. On the other hand, the Aldi candle is sweeter and a lot lighter, you don't get that really bitter note or the strong spices. However I do have to say, for the most part you would not notice a massive difference in the way that they smell. I know the Jo Malone version well purely because I've had the candle for a couple of years and I also wear the perfume throughout December.
Of course, there is a difference in the quality of the candle. Once again the Aldi one does not burn well, you have to burn it for a long time to get an even burn and it takes a while to build up the scent. In addition the scent is never as strong as the Jo Malone candle. The candle I have came in a set of 3 so it has normal packaging whereas the larger size comes in the same iridescent packaging as the Sweet Almond and Macaroon candle. I think this is a bit of a shame and that Aldi should have done this scent as a normal sized individual candle as well because then I would have bought a couple.
The large candle would make an incredible centre piece and would look lovely as part of anyone's Christmas day celebrations. The best part is the large candle is only £20. I mean that is far more reasonable than the £300 Jo Malone version and the scents are very similar. It is just the quality that lets the Aldi one down but that is to be expected.
An Aldi Christmas
Normally at this time of year I will treat myself to a Jo Malone candle to burn for the month but this year I am having an Aldi Christmas as instead of buying a £48 Bitter Orange Candle, I managed to get a set of 3 for £7.99 instead. I still love Jo Malone candles but they are definitely a considered treat compared to an Aldi one which I can burn freely and not worry about how much that has just cost me.
The home collection from Aldi is lovely and it will make a lovely addition to any home this Christmas. Be warned, I can see these candles going quickly because Aldi never seem to hold on to their Special Buys for long! Plus everyone goes mad for these dupe products, they sell out really quickly. Personally out of the two scents I bought, Bitter Orange was the winner for me and I would happily buy another set just to get this scent.
You might also like:
The home collection from Aldi is lovely and it will make a lovely addition to any home this Christmas. Be warned, I can see these candles going quickly because Aldi never seem to hold on to their Special Buys for long! Plus everyone goes mad for these dupe products, they sell out really quickly. Personally out of the two scents I bought, Bitter Orange was the winner for me and I would happily buy another set just to get this scent.
You might also like:
|
|
|
|
|










0 Yorumlar